The Cumberland Valley Senior Softball League (CVSSL) is looking for slowpitch softball players for the 2018 season. Practice will begin on Monday, April 2nd at the Letterkenny field and continue Mondays thru Wednesdays until Season start on May 7th. "This is a recreational and emotional opportunity for men 48 years of age + that promotes the complete package of health and wellness," says Bob Thomas, President of the CVSSL. Registration is currently open through April 15.
The CVSSL was first organized in 1988, some thirty (30) years ago. The purpose of the organization is to promote active living and physical fitness among “seniors” through fellowship and competitive sports. "I was an active player in baseball and softball since Little League until my family situation changed. Move forward 20 years, the children are out of the house and limited physical activity. Senior Softball brings back a joy of youth that is difficult to explain, but it is real," says Thomas.
In 1993, the CVSSL was granted permission to play their games located on Letterkenny Army Depot (LEAD). The CVSSL has continued to partner with LEAD and now assumes all maintenance and improvements of fields. The CVSSL recognizes that without LEAD support, the League would not exist as it does today.
Details About the 2018 Season:
- There is an early bird discount of $5 off if submitted before March 15 and a $10 extra charge for late registrations after April 15. The registration fee is $40 between those dates.
- There will be a total redraft of teams in 2018. The new teams will remain together for 2 years.
- All games will be played on Letterkenny Field 1 (the lower field) if either 3 or 4 teams are registered. If only 3 teams are drafted, the schedule will again be for 1 game on Mondays and Wednesdays. If 4 teams are drafted, the schedule will be developed for 1 game on each night Monday thru Thursday. If there are enough players registered for 5 teams (at least 60), a schedule will be developed to use both fields 1 and 2.
- Pre-season practice will begin on Monday April 2 and be held every Monday thru Wednesday (weather permitting) on the Letterkenny field until the season schedule begins on May 7th.
- Come out as often as you can to warm up those muscles after a long winter.
CVSSL consists on an average of some sixty (60) participants each year. Membership is made up of retired military members (retired active duty/reserve/guardsmen), community leaders, farmers, current/past government employees, physicians, independent contractors, etc. Local businesses sponsor and partner with the league in building an atmosphere of fellowship.
Call 717-263-4710 or visit www.cvssl.com for more information.