|Report Area||Total Population||Number of Establishments||Establishments, Rate per 100,000 Population|
|Franklin County, PA||149,618||18||12.03|
Recreation and Fitness Facilities,
Rate per 100,000 Population by Year, 2008 through 2012
|Franklin County, PA||12.7||12.03||10.69||13.37||12.03||12.03|
Recreation and Fitness Facility Access
County Business Patterns (CBP) is an annual series that provides sub-national economic data by industry. Data for establishments are presented by geographic area, 6-digit NAICS industry, legal form of organization (U.S. and state only), and employment size class. Information is available on the number of establishments, employment during the week of March 12, first quarter payroll, and annual payroll. ZIP Code Business Patterns data are available shortly after the release of County Business Patterns. It provides the number of establishments by employment-size classes by detailed industry in the U.S.
County Business Patterns basic data items are extracted from the Business Register (BR), a database of all known single and multi-establishment employer companies maintained and updated by the U.S. Census Bureau. The BR contains the most complete, current, and consistent data for business establishments. The annual Company Organization Survey provides individual establishment data for multi-establishment companies. Data for single-establishment companies are obtained from various Census Bureau programs, such as the Economic Census, Annual Survey of Manufactures and Current Business Surveys, as well as from administrative record sources.
For more information about this source, including data collection methodology and definitions, refer to the County Business Patterns website.
Population figures are acquired for this indicator from the U.S. Census Bureau, 2010 Decennial Census, Summary File 1. Industry counts are acquired from the U.S. Census Bureau, County Business Patterns data file. Industries are stratified based on the 2012 North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) a coding system used by Federal statistical agencies in classifying business establishments for the purpose of collecting, analyzing, and publishing statistical data related to the U.S. business economy. Establishment rates for each county are derived using the following formula:
Rate = [Establishment Count] / [Population] * 100,000
The specific NAICS codes used to identify establishment categories within the County Business Patterns (CBP) are listed below.
- Grocery stores and supermarkets: 445110
Grocery stores are establishments engaged in selling a "general line of food, such as canned and frozen foods; fresh fruits and vegetables; and fresh and prepared meats, fish, and poultry". Examples include supermarkets, commissaries and food stores. Convenience stores are excluded.
- Fast food restaurants: 722513 (formerly 722211)
Any “limited service” establishments where the customer typically orders or selects items and pay before eating. Establishments may include carryout restaurants, delicatessens, drive-ins, pizza delivery shops, sandwich shops, and other fast food restaurants
- Alcoholic beverage retailers: 445310
Establishments engaged in “retailing packaged alcoholic beverages, such as ale, beer, wine, and liquor“. Bars and other venues serving alcoholic beverages intended for immediate consumption on the premises are not included.
- Recreational Facilities: 713940
Establishments engaged in operating facilities which offer “exercise and other active physical fitness conditioning or recreational sports activities”. Examples include athletic clubs, gymnasiums, dance centers, tennis clubs, and swimming pools.
A complete list of NAICS codes and definitions is available using the NAICS Association’s free lookup service .
1. Data are reported based on the primary NAICS code of the establishment. By definition, the primary NAICS code should reflect 50% or more of the establihsment's activity. This definition may exclude some establishments from a particular industry classification. For example, a convenience store which also sells liquor may be classified only as a convenience store (445120) and not a beer, wine and liquor store (445310).
Race and Ethnicity
Statistics by race and ethnicity are not provided for this indicator.
Reported data represent summaries limited by county boundaries. When comparing rates, consider the following:
1) Rates assume uniform distribution of both establishments and populations throughout the county and may not detect disparities in access for rural or minority populations.
2) Summaries may over-represent or under-represent county rates when populations or establishments are highly concentrated on county border lines.
3) Rates do not describe quality of the establishment or utilization frequency.
Courtesy: Community Commons, <www.communitycommons.org>, August 2016