Cancer is a life-changing disease that takes a tremendous physical and emotional toll on those affected. Last fall, both the Chambersburg YMCA and Waynesboro YMCA piloted LIVESTRONG®, a research -based physical activity and well-being program designed to help adult cancer survivors reclaim their total health. Both programs are being funded by Summit Endowment.
Participants work with Y staff trained in supportive cancer care to safely achieve their goals such as building muscle mass and strength; increasing flexibility and endurance; and improving confidence and self-esteem. By focusing on the whole person and not the disease, LIVESTRONG at the YMCA is helping people move beyond cancer in spirit, mind and body. The free, 12-week program meets twice per week for 90 minutes and focuses on physical exercise and social activities in a safe, supportive environment for strengthening your whole sense of self.
DESCRIPTION AND GOALS
- Small group, supportive environment
- 12-week program with two 90-minute sessions per week
- Includes cardiovascular conditioning, strength training, balance, and flexibility exercises
- Held in YMCA Wellness Center and Community Room
- Evaluation includes Functional and Quality of Life assessments before and after participation
- Facilitated by YMCA-certified Instructors
- Includes 12-week Family Membership
Participants in the LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA program are cancer survivors who are over the age of 18 and:
- Are in or out of active cancer treatment,
- Have a strong personal desire to improve their physical health and participation in daily activities,
- Can commit to participation in the 12-weeks of classes, and
- Obtain and submit a Medical Clearance for Participation form.
- We understand that some cancer treatment is ongoing, and individuals who feel strong enough to participate during ongoing treatment are welcome to join with medical clearance.
EXPERT, CARING COACHES
LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA staff have been specially trained to work with cancer survivors and patients and follow American College of Sports Medicine and American Cancer Society exercise guidelines. They’re exercise experts who can understand your unique physical needs and concerns and help you address them safely. They’re also relationship builders with the empathy and ability to connect with and develop relationships with and among cancer survivors and their families.
Classes in Chambersburg start February 27. Call 717-446-0533 to learn more.
Classes in Waynesboro start on March 5. Call 717-762-6012 to learn more.
Chambersburg YMCA Looking for LIVESTRONG® Instructors
This is a part-time position, approximately 5 hours per week during the 12 week program with the possibility of instructing two or three 12 week programs during the year.
The right staff to lead LIVESTRONG at the YMCA will bring two important skills sets to the program:
- “Exercise Expert” who has understanding of and ability to address the unique needs and concerns of cancer survivors, resulting from their cancer diagnoses and treatments and
- “Relationship Builder” who has understanding, empathy, and ability to connect with and develop relationships with and among cancer survivors
Key Skills and Functions
- Ability to work with members to address the whole person’s well-being, including spirit, mind, and body
- Perform assessments of participants
- Create individualized exercise programs from assessment results and from using Listen First skills with participants
- Meet with member to implement new program
- Determine each participant’s starting reps, sets, weight, duration, and determine if any modifications/adaptations may be needed to the exercise equipment
- Teach and demonstrate utilization of equipment, correct exercise technique and safety considerations, and how to fill out the exercise log sheet
- Be able to make minor adjustments to exercise programs as needed in response to participant adaptations/tolerance to activity per session
Contact: Barb Houpt at 717-446-0533 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The Chambersburg YMCA is excited to team up with the Sponseller family for the inaugural EdK 1k/5k/10k event. Proceeds benefit the LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA program and a local charity selected by the Sponseller family each year. For more information and to register online visit edkrun.com.
To learn more about the LIVESTRONG Foundation, click here.